Lend a Finger

et-fingerWhat can you do with just one finger? Now before anybody starts to get vulgar, let me take a minute to explain.

The web has allowed us to reach out to almost anyone, anywhere in the world with a few clicks of the mouse.  It has allowed us to search through millions of pages of information on any topic our little hearts can imagine.  And it has given us the gift of access to anything we want; movies, music, books, news, etc.

What the web has also allowed us to do is help people.  This is an area that we are just starting to tap into, and it’s an important one to take notice of.  President Obama has referred to this moment in time as the dawning of a new era of responsibility.  We have a responsibility to each other.  We can help solve some of the world’s problems if we work together.

A little over a year ago, my dad was taken from us after a bout with cancer.  For the nearly four years that he struggled with the disease, I was left to ponder how in the world someronald_mcdonald_logoone like me could do anything to help.  And in the year that he has been gone, those same thoughts have plagued me.  But now I realize, it has nothing to do with what I can do.  It has to do with what we can do, the people, in masses, if we put our minds to it.

Today would have been my father’s birthday, and in honor of him I have donated to a charity dealing directly with brain tumors.  That is how I will “Lend a Finger” to help today.  Below I have listed a number of links to various charities and charity rating authorities.  It is my hope that you will take a moment to review them and donate if possible.

jimmyvThe goal is not to give all of our money to cancer research, but to begin to spread the movement. Together, we can do so much to help.  And the internet has allowed us to help in so many simple ways.  So “Lend a Finger” today.  You can lend a finger by clicking your way to a donation, sending a gift, writing an email, or anything else you can think of.  And take the time to pass this on to others.

cancerresearchinstituteIf everyone you know takes a few minutes out of the day to think about how they can help someone else, we can start to move forward.  We can be a nation of change, fulfilling a responsibility to ourselves, our families, and future generations.

The American Brain Tumor Association

The Ronald McDonald House

Sunshine Kids Organization

The Jimmy V Foundation

The Cancer Research Institute

Top Rated Charities from Charity Watch

Even if you can’t give today, you can do a great deal to help by passing this on.  If you have a Twitter account, Tweet this.  If you’re on Facebook, post this using the button below.  If you are on Digg, Digg it.  Email it to friends, and subscribe to receive future updates on the strength of this movement.  Post a blog describing how you plan to Lend a Finger, and asking for others to do the same.

There are people in this world that we can help.  And if it doesn’t come from us, where will it come from?  Use the comments section as a starting point.  Share with us how you plan on spreading the “Lend a Finger” campaign.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to Ma.gnoliaAdd to TechnoratiAdd to FurlAdd to Newsvine

19 Responses to Lend a Finger

1. Brian Tesch says:

Zach, very well written. We have all gone through something like this and I think this is a good thing that you are trying to do. I plan to give back to someone who I let slip out of my life recently, thanks for the inspiration.

2. Beth Heller says:

Way to go, a moving and timely tribute.

3. Isabel Heller says:

What wonderful tribute. It takes someone like you to get the ball rolling. Hopefully it’ll do some good. Keep it up.

4. The net truly can reach everyone, cant it? People you would never think it finds find you. I am touched by what you’re doing and have always cared for you three beautiful “kids” and your parents… I will lend a finger, and more if you need it! Love you!

5. Sue Friend says:

This is a great idea! It takes just one good thought to get SO much done. I am so proud of you. Your dad would be too!!

6. Zach Heller says:

I appreciate everyone’s comments today, this is already the most popular post on Be Innovation to date by a long shot.

More comments are welcome – tell us how you are joining and spreading the movement.

7. Dennis Sullivan says:

I really admire your thoughts and the spirit they reflect. way to go.

8. […] Last week I posted a blog of significant importance to me. It was about my father, who had died of cancer, and the little steps that we can all take to help others. To read that post, click here and view the Lend a Finger Campaign. […]

9. […] Lend a Finger – This was a very meaningful post to me marking my father’s birthday one year after he passed […]

10. I have been scouting around for this particular insight, thank you! What other sites can you think I should check out? Websites like this are difficult to come across, make sure to continue the great work.

11. watch5 says:

I really like your informative and knowledgeable website.
    Thanks for sharing with us.life seems not easy for every one so do not forget enjoy our life every time.

12. kartingovod says:

Каждому Доброе утро! Буду знать .спасибо автору.

13. Thank_You_for_shared_Good_Content

14. bestbuy says:

Cool_Content_I_like_it

15. I was struggling with what precisely to do on my Twitter account. One could consider it a hybrid… I publish lots about net design, advertising and small business. Most likely will add extra private issues within the future.

16. seo says:

I don’t know whether it’s just me or if everyone else experiencing issues
    with your blog. It seems like some of the written text in your posts
    are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is
    happening to them as well? This might be a problem with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before.
    Thanks

17. Umital says:

Каждому Доброе утро! Заходите на UMITAL UMITAL.RU-самые свежие новости шоубизнеса со всего мира

18. kvantnewsru says:

Мы будем весьма рады Вам.!Посетите наш увлекательный ресурс,